Over the past 5 weeks, we have reviewed the 1st of the 10 Commandments of Networking a Mixer – if you have missed them, please review. Now on to Commandment #6… When first meeting a new person, you have the opportunity to be memorable by offering support. What kind of support? Be creative in how you will assist the person; by supporting them in their success, you will be able to quickly build your credibility. For many of us, we would love to have the person we just meet become a client, and while that happens occasionally, we will need to look for other ways to offer support. What additional types of support could we offer? A few examples are:
- Invite them to another event
- Share about networking organizations that you belong to and upcoming opportunities
- Introduce them to people at the event
- Follow up with an article or link for a specific issue they are been facing
- Create a referral to a member of your network, because he has a need for the Referral Source’s product/service
By supporting people that you meet quickly, you will be remembered in a positive way. One day, these people may want to return the favor by offering you support, maybe even in the form of a referral. What is your favorite way to offer support when networking?