Today kicks off a 10 week series where we take a look at the 10 Commandments of Networking a Mixer…The 10 Commandments of Networking a Mixer are part of the Certified Networker Program, offered by the Referral Institute – for additional details, visit http://www.referralinstitutetampa.com.
Enjoy, and happy networking!
Commandment #1: Have Your Networking Tools with You at All Times
There are a few tools you will want to have with you at all times in order to most productively work the event. Networking Tools include:
- Curiosity Name Tag: Wearing a professionally made name tag at event will help have people asking you more questions about what you do IF you make it a curiosity name tag.
- Business Card: As a serious professional, focused on growing your business by referral, you will want to make sure you have MORE than enough business cards for each event. Perhaps leave extra in your car, pocket, bag, etc. to guarantee you always have cards.
- Calendar: When networking, you goal might be to book the meeting from the initial meeting. As you meet people that are potential clients or referral partners schedule the meeting right away instead of getting into the cycle of trading emails & phone calls.
- Writing Utensil: Whether pen or pencil, haves a tool to take notes with and so you can schedule appointments. (A silver sharpie might be a good choice. Why? See Commandment #9)
- Breath Mints/Gum: Make sure people will want to continue to speak to you instead of running away from your bad breath!
- Smile: Be approachable by having a great smile and positive attitude. If you are having a bad day, fake it till you make it OR just stay away!
I recommend having these all together in a single place in your car (perhaps even a back up kit, just in case) so you always have your networking tools with you.