I was recently in a one to one and we were chatting about getting “NOs” when asking for the sell or the referral, and that it’s okay to get a “NO”.
Unfortunately, many people are afraid of getting that “NO”, because they will feel rejected.
The person I was meeting with then paralleled getting “NOs” when asking for the referral or sell with asking people if they want a piece of gum.
Think about it… Do you offer people gum or mints ever? You are being nice, trying to offer them a treat, and it is okay if they choose to accept or not.
I then, feverously, wrote down GUM = Referrals = NOs, so that I would remember to write this very blog.
What would your business be like if you asked for referrals and the sale in the same way that you asked people if they would want gum?
Would you ask more? Feel okay regardless of whether you got a yes or a no?
Do you think the result for you would be MORE business for you?

What are you going to do to make sure you start asking for more referrals and asking for the business?
How are you going to ask for those?

Advertisements

About Tiffanie Kellog

Tiffanie loves to help people make more money while saving time, so they can hopefully have more fun!

16 responses »

1. What a great concept! Asking for sales like asking someone if they want a piece of gum takes all the pressure off!

2. Paula says:

cool, i like Trident Watermelon 🙂
    Just kidding… Good way to think of it!

• tiffaniekellog says:

I have not had that kind…
      but I do remember LOVING the Bubblicious watermelon (but that’s not sugar free)

3. Rob Kellog says:

I am going to just start asking. I had a conversation last week about this very thing and you end up leaving a lot of money on the table when you don’t ask for the referral.

4. Scott Kiefer says:

This certainly makes sense and is very understandable………….

5. You can’t make a sale if you don’t ask for it, and most people won’t think to pass you the referral unless you ask as well.

What is the worse thing someone can say? No? Well you already didn’t have their business before you asked … so the results can only be better by asking! That is how I look at it 🙂

6. William Mellas says:

How often do you ask someone who doesn’t chew gum if they want gum, for me rarely. Consequently, this is another reminder of knowing your prospect a little know, if they chew gum,
    and what flavor.

7. John Berkes says:

Neat post. You can do the same thing when GIVING a referral. Instead of would you like a piece of gum … would you like to know about this great company I recently found?

8. I love the simplicity of that idea! I don’t usually have a hard time asking for the business, but know many people who do. Thanks so much for simplifying it to gum and candy … want some candy? 🙂
    I love it Tiffanie!

• tiffaniekellog says:

Oh, I love me some candy! M&Ms and Reese Peanut Butter Cups are two things I have a hard time saying no to!

• I have to remember that … as a matter of fact I have a bunch of M&Ms left over from last night’s LLS event. I’ll save them for you since I can’t eat them. LOL! 🙂 Maybe that’s another way to get sales, leave a candy trail into my office and when they get here … make the sale. LOL!!